Wednesday, December 16, 2009

You Are So Sweet, Dancing and Moving to the Beat

Goose emailed me back last night with firm dates for his impending Las Vegas trip. He was laying it on thick, telling me twice in the span of a brief email that he hopes we can catch up during the month he's there. He also mentioned he might be coming to the United States for a year with work and that he wants to come to New York next Christmas. He signed the email with a "love" and an "x" next to his name.

I am overwhelmed by the temptation to read into his email that he wants us to go from being friends to being something more. Yet, the 0.01 percent of my brain that has a lick of sense cautions me against doing that. So, I responded to his email by saying, inter alia:

Vegas! Since you're entreating me to rendezvous with you there, I have to ask if you're now single or planning to be single by the time this trip rolls around. I'd love to meet up with you, but I don't think our feelings have changed toward each other since Peru and the overwhelming likelihood is that you'll have your junk out in, like,five seconds, and I don't want to be one of the things that happens in Vegas and stays in Vegas. I want something to happen between us, but only if it's allowed to.

Overlooking the fact that I stuck the world's longest run-on sentence in the middle there, I was satisfied with my response. I wanted to keep my tone light and humorous while still conveying to him that I'm serious about not coming to see him if he's still attached to his girlfriend.

Now comes the part I hate, in which I have to await his reply. He may not reply at all, or he may reply without addressing the line in the sand I've drawn, or he may reply by saying that he has no intention of breaking up with his girlfriend and if I'm not comfortable coming to see him under those circumstances, then too bad for me. Obviously, I'm hoping he'll say that he has already broken up with his girlfriend or plans to do so very soon. No matter what he says (or doesn't say), I'm trying to remember that I did what was right for me, even if it meant risking his displeasure.

No comments: