Friday, December 12, 2008

Burning Down the House

I hope they let me write from jail because I'm about to go on a murderous rampage or possibly an arson spree. My complaints against the world in general are so numerous as to require subheadings.

The Only Living Boy in New York

That motherfucker. I confirmed with a mutual friend that, as I suspected, he had indeed broken up with his girlfriend. I emailed him back last night in response to his friend request and said, "It's been about six months. To what do I owe this surprise?" He said that he had only recently noticed that I removed him as my friend and asked how I was doing. I said, "I'm great. Thanks for asking. I don't want to sound like an asshole or like I don't care about you, but there was a reason we stopped talking six months ago and that I de-friended you, and if that situation hasn't changed, I don't think our trying to be friends now would turn out any differently." His entire response was "Ok." I mean, seriously? I figured that if he was emailing me now, it must be because he and his girlfriend broke up (correct) and he was interested in giving a romantic relationship between the two of us some kind of chance (incorrect). I didn't even bother to respond to his two-letter email. I'm congratulating myself for being adult enough to nip that in the bud.

Work

Work was not super-busy this week, which was kind of nice but kind of boring. Then, all of sudden today, probably because it's Friday, the shit hit the fan. I ended up canceling lunch with a friend and my career counseling appointment (might have been nice to go to that since I have a fucking job interview on Monday). Then, the bitch who tattled on me and got me the bad review asked me to meet her at 4:15 to talk about stuff, and I ended up having to cancel my hair appointment to stay and figure out some bullshit. So, now I have a rat's nest atop my head right in time for a job interview for a job I desperately want. And then she wanted to know what I was doing this weekend (many things!) and basically rain on those various parades by asking me to do a shit-ton of menial, clerical bullshit for work. And, not that she knows this, but I'm doing all of this with even less job security than my compatriots. In this economy, it's tough for anyone to say he or she has job security, but I have been specifically told that I might be fired, so I think I have less. And I have to do all this shit for the very person who caused me to be in this situation to begin with. Fucking shit.

This Other Dickface

Then, I have this other "friend." We used to work together, and we were very close at that time. He moved to go to graduate school, and I moved to take another job. Over time, we've grown less close because we're not in constant contact like we used to be, but we still chat. The other day, I sent him an email and said that I had a dream about him in which he said he missed me, so I figured I would email him and see how he was doing. His response was to tell me that that was creepy and that his girlfriend wouldn't appreciate him getting messages like that. Dude...whatever. Look, I can see how that could be taken in a creepy way, but he knows me, and he knows that it wasn't meant in any kind of a creepy way. So, it was shitty of him to say that it was creepy. And I don't understand why he brought his girlfriend (a girlfriend I didn't know he had) into the situation at all. Like, are other people not allowed to dream about her boyfriend? I mean, it's not like I told him I had a sexual dream about him. We're friends. He said he missed me. What's the big fucking deal? I told him to stop being a jackass and that he knew I didn't mean it like that. Ugh.

I hate everything.

1 comment:

me said...

bet you $50 the girlfriend was looking over his shoulder when he replied and said it was "creepy."

looser!