Friday, May 14, 2010

I Want to Love You, Pretty Young Thing

There's a new employee at work. He's actually not new in general since he worked there about a year ago, but I wasn't there then, so he is new to me. He's incredibly good-looking, smart, and he seems interested in me. We have tentative plans to grab coffee next week.

He's also 19 years old. He just finished his freshman year of college, and he's back at my office working in the mail room (his high school job) before he starts a prestigious summer internship.

I told two of my friends (one who works with me, one who doesn't) that I'm having coffee with this person, and both of them responded almost the exact same way. They both said, "Girl, you a ho." I took it as a compliment. I had the following conversation with my work colleague:

Me: I'm going out to coffee next week with [Pretty Young Thing].

Him: Oh, you are not.

Me: We talked about it today.

Him: You a ho.

Me: I am a mentor of young people.

Him: Very attractive young people.

Me: He knows how old I am. He probably thinks I'm a nice old lady.

Him: He wants some 30-year-old tail.

I admit that I struggled over whether it was morally right to pursue something with a man eleven years my junior, but I decided it was fine after about five minutes of consideration. First of all, it's not clear at all that he's interested in having romantical sexy time with me. He's an extrovert, and what I (as an introvert) see as flirtatious may just be him being himself. I'm okay with that, because it's still delightful. Second, even if he is interested in me, he's an adult (barely) and it's not like I'm trying to have some big, serious relationship with him.

The most significant reason I decided just to give spending some time with this man a shot is because I think it will be fun. There is a serious shortage of fun in my life right now. I have a micro-managing supervisor, no permanent job, daddy issues, and a string of spectacular relationship catastrophes. The most likely relationship possibility in my current orbit is Mango, which is, as we already know, a terrible idea. This is not to say I have nothing good in my life -- I have many good things going for me (though I tend not to blog about them as much since I use the blog to work out issues, and I usually don't feel the need to work out issues related to positive things in my life). But I have a lot of stuff going on in my life right now, some of it pretty serious, and I have been through a lot of changes in the past year. I could use some fun. I could use some carefree fun with someone I like being around, and I like being around Pretty Young Thing. I don't know him very well yet, but he has good energy. I think I'd like to have coffee with him and get to know him some more, just as friends for the moment.

Of course, if what he wants is 30-year-old tail, I do know where he can get some.

No comments: