Friday, July 2, 2010

I Knew This Much Was True

Last Tuesday, I went to a meet-and-greet for a podcast that I really like. Most of the other people there were podcasters and bloggers, and I spent most of the evening chatting with this really cute blogger. There was a lot of heavy eye contact, he showed me the photos on his digital camera, he shooed away someone who tried to steal my seat next to him and he gave me a big hug when we said good night. I thought, "Hm, this dude is definitely interested, and I am definitely interested. I don't see a big future here since he's only in town for the summer, but I could at least see an exciting present." I held off emailing him for a couple of days to play it cool before sending him the following email last night:

Hi [his name],

It was great to meet you on Tuesday at the [podcast] meet-up. If you're around soon, maybe we can grab a drink and you can teach me how to use Twitter to enhance my life.

[my name]

The Twitter remark was based on the fact that all the other attendees jabbered on about Twitter for much of the evening and, on the subway home, he jokingly inquired if I intended to join because everyone had talked so much about it.

Today, I got the following complete disappointment of a reply:

Hi [my name],

It was a pleasure meeting you as well! I found a ton of recipes that I used over the weekend. I'll be saving them more often. Thanks for all the advice! Might come back for more someday. Though it might seem complicated at first, Tweetdeck is what I use for twitter. Next time I'm in the city, I'll let you know for sure.

See you around,
[his name]

What the eff is that? The advice he refers to is some free legal and tax advice I gave him about his fledgling blog business, but as far as I recall, he and I never talked about recipes or saving recipes. I have no idea what that means apart from probably meaning that he doesn't really remember who I am at all. I can sort of deal with a lack of interest, but how can he just not remember who I am? We spent the entire night hanging out together. I told him exactly where we met, and at any given time, there were not more than 12 people at the event including him and me, and he clearly already knew most of the other attendees quite well and could thus have eliminated them as possibilities if he didn't catch my name at the beginning of the evening and therefore didn't connect the beguiling female he met with the name on the email he received. (Of the attendees, there were four other females, two of whom were married and there with their husbands, one of whom was his business partner, and one of whom was a friend of his business partner's) We never talked about any fucking recipes. What the fuck?

No comments: