Thursday, July 30, 2009

Get Up, Stand Up

In a big surprise to no one, I stewed for a long time last night about the contretemps with my management company. Standing up for myself is new and uncomfortable territory for me, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. When I finally decided to stand up for myself about something, did I overreact?

It doesn't matter if I overreacted or not in this situation because I already threatened to sue. If I back off of that position now, I undermine any authority or credibility I have. I'm just asking the question to improve my standing-up-for-myself skills in future interactions. Frankly, in this case, I don't think I would have gotten anywhere with the management company without resorting to a threat of litigation. And while the management company professes shock and dismay at my actions considering our past good relationship, the management company itself is ruining that good relationship by keeping $150 for doing absolutely nothing.

Anyway, it's stupid to continue to obsess about it, even though I totally will. Standing up for myself is a skill and since it's not one that comes naturally to me, I'll probably have to work at it before I feel comfortable doing it.

And today...PERU!!!!

No comments: