Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Machu? Picchu!

I booked myself a trip to Peru the first week in August (see #15 on my list) because Intrepid was having a sale. I'm totally excited to go and to check off another place from my list (thus finishing all the South American destinations), but I wish I had a job. In fact, I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out another trip I can go on to celebrate when I find a job, which I've decided is going to be this month.

I still haven't figured out where I'm supposed to be interviewing on Friday at 2. The place, wherever it may be, hasn't sent an email or made a phone call to confirm. It pains me to know I might be squandering a much-needed interview opportunity, but I have done everything I can possibly do to find out the identity of the place and have not succeeded.

As much as I love travel under any circumstances, I feel particularly desperate to travel now because it provides an escape. My life is pretty miserable at the moment, full of setbacks and disappointments. I know intellectually that it won't be this way forever, but that doesn't make the reality of now any easier. When I went to Ecuador, it was so relaxing to be in a place where I couldn't focus on finding a job. It was a mental break that I really needed. I am hopeful that Peru will serve the same purpose, if I am still looking for a job when I leave, which I hope I will not be.

Today, I met with a legal recruiter. I spent about two hours of my time plus round-trip fare on the subway and changed out of my pajamas into real clothes so he could tell me that it's a tough job market out there. I almost burst into tears in his office. No fucking kidding it's a tough job market out there. I have a great resume, I went to top schools, I've worked at top law firms, and I'm smart as a whip, and I am getting no offers. In a normal economy -- even in a halfway decent economy -- I would be deluged by places wanting to hire me. So, I am keenly aware of the fact that this is a tough job market. I think I should have been legally permitted to punch him in the windpipe for saying that. No wonder I'm wistfully researching trips to Bhutan.

No comments: