Saturday, July 11, 2009

Quand Il Me Prend Dans Ses Bras, Il Me Parle Tout Bas, Je Vois La Vie en Rose

A friend of mine from my Egypt trip invited me down to the boat house today to say hello while he supervised free kayaking. He didn't really act like he wanted me to come when he invited me, or so I assumed when he mentioned that I should come only if I was bored and that he would probably be busy. Even so, I was bored, and the boat house is about two blocks from my apartment, and I needed to walk Teh Doggeh. I was glad I went, and I was even more glad that I didn't look like shit while doing so. I spotted a guy that I was madly in love with in college.

The last time I saw this dude, he was headed off to Algeria. (Yes, he's a pretty religious Muslim. No, there is no need to feign surprise.) Of course, that was at least seven years ago, and apparently, he has found his way back. I've never been to Algiers, but I'm guessing that it lacks some of the amenities of New York or Paris, two other cities in which he has lived. He was shirtless and with three attractive, non-Muslim women, and I wasn't sufficiently sure it was he, so I didn't approach him at the boat house. Instead, I Facebook stalked him and messaged him. It turns out it was indeed he.

I'm hopeful that we might get together to catch up (read: make out). Even if we don't, I think it must be said that life is full of surprises and even the biggest city can feel like a small town at times. I didn't even get to talk to the friend who initially invited me because he was off kayaking, but I could not have cared less.

No comments: