Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Worker

I'm trying to remember to blog regularly while I work to pay down my credit card debt. I want to be able to recall how unpleasant it was to work so much in case I'm tempted to run up a lot of debt again in the future.

I guess overspending is just like any other addiction. Shopping provides a temporary rush of excitement and happiness, and, when it ends, another rush must be sought. Like with drugs or alcohol, the rush of spending money tries to compensate for what is lacking in other areas. It combats loneliness, sadness and disappointment. It attempts to stand in for honest emotions or a true feeling of connection.

While I've been chiseling away at my credit card debt, I have surprised myself a few times by feeling really sad. I'm sure part of it is fatigue, but I think another part of it is because I'm chipping away at the outward manifestation of an emotional buffer I created and trying to address what got me to that point in the first place.

Anyway, I'm just trying to keep at the task of working to pay off these bills. Sometimes, it seems like I'm making rapid progress and other times, it seems like I'll never get to the end of it.

No comments: