Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Communication Breakdown

I'm having one of those weeks where it seems like nobody is responding to anything I'm sending out there.

After much unnecessary agita, my troubleshooters finally got back to me about the various things that need fixing in my apartment. I'm slightly annoyed that my call to the actual landlord was not returned (I pay him rent in a timely fashion every month and he can't be bothered to return my phone calls?), but I'm going to overlook it for now. The truth is I stumbled ass-backwards into an apartment in a superb location for a great price that allows me to have a pet, so unless the walls cave in, I'm not moving out for a long time. And even then, it would depend on which wall it was because one of my neighbors is really hot, and I might not mind it that much if our apartments were suddenly merged.

I still haven't heard anything from Reefer Madness either. Like I said, I'm basically assuming that I'm being blown off at this point, which pisses me off, but it occurred to me that I might be dealing with another species of rude behavior. I used to date this guy who would send me an email saying something like, "Are you free for dinner on Friday X or Friday Y?" to which I would respond with something like, "Friday X would be great for me." I would then hear nothing further from him for two weeks. Assuming that he'd blown me off, I would make alternate plans for Friday X. Then, on Friday X or maybe on Thursday X, I would get an email from him saying, "So, we're still on, right?" to which I would reply with a slightly more tactful version of the sentiment, "Um, no, we are not because you never gave me any indication that you, in fact, intended to show up on that date so I made other plans." I'm using this erstwhile consort of mine as an example, but he's not the only person who's ever done this to me. It makes me crazy when people do this. In my younger days, I used to assume the person was tacitly accepting the plans and would often be disappointed to be blown off at the last minute after having turned down something else I could have been doing and be left with no plans at all. As I've grown older and marginally wiser, I've taken the position that if you can't be bothered to affirmatively confirm plans, you assume the risk that I'm going to bump you for someone who can. Now, the reason I am concerned that this would not be the case with Reefer Madness is that we did not even have plans narrowed down to a specific day. I just threw out the general idea of this coming weekend (forgetting that it is Easter, not that I have Easter-related plans, but I'm sure other people do). Yet at the same time, I can't totally allow myself to believe that he would be blowing me off because that just seems like such a gratuitously dick move. Of course, after promising myself I wouldn't let myself get caught up in this, I have obsessed about it non-stop since Saturday.

I've also been trying to reach a friend of mine at work, and I haven't heard any responses from her either.

I'm starting to think I'm in some kind of technology dead zone and all of these people are trying desperately to contact me, but I can't receive their transmissions. Maybe it's a full moon or something, or they're all busy trying to get straight with JC before Easter.

No comments: