Thursday, March 27, 2008

Get Up Stand Up

I went out to dinner with a friend of mine last night, and when I brought up Cindy Kim, my friend unveiled his hypothesis that I like him before I even said how disappointed I had felt when Cindy Kim told me he didn't have time to see me again for a month or so. As my friend and I discussed the situation, we pondered whether Cindy Kim's making the comment about my supposed acne, while completely inappropriate and hurtful no matter that he treats acne for a living, might have ultimately had the positive effect of making him more attractive to me. It cannot be denied that I thought about him more than I otherwise would have. My friend's theory was that, before the comment, when Cindy Kim and I went out, I thought I was better than he was, and that I took umbrage because, at some level, I felt like he was failing to show the proper deference that the ugly friend should show to the pretty friend (not that Cindy Kim is ugly -- I'm oversimplifying to make my point). And yet, his uppity behavior engendered increased feelings of respect because he wasn't afraid to say what he really thought, even if it was something negative. I mean, I have a strong personality, and I know that. But the last thing I want is a boyfriend who is a milquetoast because I am not going to respect someone who lets me run all over him. I don't want someone who is combative or who craves drama and argument, but I want someone who is unafraid to assert his opinion or to question my opinions. My closest friends have that quality of being willing to stand up to me, and even if it annoys me for a minute when they challenge me, I am ultimately grateful that they do it. With this acne remark, Cindy Kim revealed himself to maybe, possibly have the stones to be that kind of person, which I had previously not suspected and which I now find appealing.

1 comment:

TSC Girl said...

I have a strong personality, and I know that. But the last thing I want is a boyfriend who is a milquetoast because I am not going to respect someone who lets me run all over him. I don't want someone who is combative or who craves drama and argument, but I want someone who is unafraid to assert his opinion or to question my opinions.

Sheesh woman, would you stay OUT of my brain! LOL