Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I've Been Looking So Long at These Pictures of You

I saw a picture of someone I used to like, and I could not remember at all what it was I found so attractive about him. Maybe it was the angle or the lighting or the stupid hat he had on (white guys should not wear those newsboy caps -- even Britney Spears has given up that look), but I seriously could not remember why I was pining for him for so long or why I was so wounded when he blew me off.

This dude and I worked together for a very short time at my previous job in my former city, so most of our process of getting to know each other has taken place over email. This is a powder keg for me. I can overlook almost any shortcoming if a man can be charming in writing, which is dangerous. Anyone can compose a few witty, flirtatious lines, given enough time. I even revise some of what I write here to make my words crisper or more sparkling. The take-away point here is, I think, that you can't allow yourself to develop romantic feelings for someone on the basis of correspondence. This seems like something I should already have known.

I feel like what I'm writing here is sort of disjointed because I have one eye on the computer and one eye on The Jane Austen Book Club. I like the movie better than the book -- that rarely happens.

No comments: