Monday, April 12, 2010

Boy, You Lookin' Like You Like What You See. Won't You Come Over and Check Up On It?

My work friend (who will henceforth be known as Mango) told me today that he liked my sweater. In my experience, when a heterosexual man compliments a woman on her attire, it's because he wants to sex her up. The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are if the man is solicited for his opinion or if it is the woman's wedding day. This is not helping my efforts to be just work friends.

My friend Tilty, herself a girlfriend of many years, told me that the best approach in this situation is for me to bring up Mango's girlfriend as much as possible. Tilty said that Mango's girlfriend needs to be the third person present (in spirit) at all times. That's a good idea in theory, but when a guy walks by your desk in full stride and tosses out a compliment, it's hard to yell after him, "Thanks! Does your girlfriend have a similar sweater?"

3 comments:

the_ugly_duckling said...

Is Mango the same guy witht he live-in GF? If so, I suggest you smile, thank him for the compliment and then ask him "So how's your girlfriend?" =P If Mango continues to flirt then your S.O.L cause I got no advice after that! lol

Shanel said...

Attention and compliments are flattering but you can say thank you and still not pay him much attention. He could still be a great friend, just make the boundaries clear in case he should try to make something more out of the friendship.

Kat said...

i feel as though you should just thank him and that should be all considering you said that he was walking by your desk saying this. Dont let the compliment become anything more than a nice gesture towards you. Liking the guy with the girlfriend is a messy situation, not saying that you do, just saying that it is a situation i wish i had stayed out of.