Thursday, July 17, 2008

Will You Be My American Boy?

So, no word from Irish Toffee. It has been a few days with no response, so I conclude that I'm not going to hear from him. Realistically, it's the summer and he works at a demanding job, so he could be on vacation or just really busy and may fully intend to respond. I doubt that an unsolicited email from a friend of a sister of a friend ranks high on his list of priorities. But usually, if people don't respond to an email within a day or two, they kind of forget about it, or they worry that too much time has passed and feel awkward about responding, so they don't.

I don't know why I'm so bummed about not hearing back from this person I have never met. Certainly it would have been nice to, as Blanche Devereaux once said, get him on a couch made out of Corinthian leather. It's also the fact that, as I mentioned, friends of mine are moving away, and I haven't replaced them as fast as they're leaving. And it's also the fact that I really meet very few heterosexual males, and it's almost too exciting to have one dangled in front of me and too cruel to have him snatched away.

Maybe this is a sign that I need to find a way to put myself in the path of more straight dudes. This is something that is a constant problem for me (me and every other single girl) because I haven't met anyone at work, my volunteer group is exclusively for women, and I don't go to bars or church. I have tried on-line dating several different times, most recently last fall, and I did not find it to be a rewarding experience on any of those occasions. I'm just not an on-line dater. My ideal situation would be to meet a guy through friends because then I can be pretty sure that the guy is who he says he is and is neither a rapist nor a serial killer. The problem there is that if my single female friends knew any great single guys, they would be dating them (and I cannot fault them for that). My paired-up friends tend to know only guys who are also paired-up because couples attract other couples. The other guys I know are not interested in me for reasons ranging from a lack of interest to religious differences. Given how hard it is to meet someone, it's a wonder that the human species hasn't died out.

Anyway, this line of thinking is kind of dumb because there was never an expectation that Irish Toffee and I were meeting to make a love connection (as far as I know). The expectation was that we would help each other pass the time. I said yesterday that I didn't think he probably needed help whiling away the hours between waking up and going to sleep since he has an exciting job and has lived in this area long enough to have a solid coterie of friends, and it seems that I was right. I'm just feeling lonely and bummed out about not hearing from him.

No comments: