Sunday, February 7, 2010

Good Luck Chuck


There's a cliche that says when you are thinking of buying a red car, suddenly you see red cars everywhere. Now that I'm trying to start a new phase of my life out of a big pile of rubble, I see people doing that everywhere. While I've been working to pay off my credit card debt (halfway there!), I've been watching every TV show that ever sounded remotely interesting. I watched The Shield, Saving Grace, and now Chuck. The basic premise of Chuck is that the guy used to be a promising student at Stanford until his roommate ruined his life by getting him kicked out and stealing his girlfriend. When the show begins, he works repairing electronics at a Best Buy-type store. Witness the following exchange between Chuck and Sarah, his spy handler.

Sarah: The idea with a cover is to keep it as simple as possible without revealing true personal detail. Any thoughts on a name?

Chuck: Charles Carmichael? Simple, dignified– Sarah: Easy to remember, and not far off from– Chuck: Graduated with honors from Stanford, runs a hugely successful software company, semi-retired, and is considering entering America’s Cup.

Sarah: You done this before?

Chuck: Let’s just say Mr. Carmichael and I share a small kinship.

Sarah: How’s that?

Chuck: When I first entered Stanford it’s kinda where I envisioned myself being…by now. Except for the sailing part; I don’t really know where that came from.


I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to be involuntarily recruited to be a spy any time soon, but you never know. In all seriousness, I think that anything that promotes a feeling of positivity and optimism is worth celebrating.

No comments: