Monday, February 8, 2010

Little Red Corvette

Yesterday, I mentioned the old cliche that when you're thinking of buying a red car, you suddenly see red cars everywhere. But maybe if you want to buy a red car, you should surround yourself with red cars.

I've recently started listening to the Amateur Traveler podcast. Most of the time, host Chris Christensen focuses on one particular travel location like the Marquesas Islands or Wisconsin. My favorite podcasts are the ones when he interviews a person who has spent a protracted period of time tooling around the globe. I listened to one today about a woman who started in Costa Rica, went through South America, New Zealand, Australia, parts of southeast Asia, Turkey, then on to Europe and home. Some of the time, she worked to replenish her financial reserves and extend the amount of time she could travel. When I finished that one, I listened to a podcast about female solo travel in India with Beth Whitman, author of the book Wanderlust and Lipstick. La Whitman counseled prudence and respect for the local customs of modesty, but she basically said it was cool to go travel around India as a woman.

I obviously want to travel, preferably for an extended period of time, preferably including some overseas employment. Is it delusional or positive thinking to surround myself with examples of people who have done that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know people just like that, I once worked on a project with a woman who spent 20 years of her life backpacking through out the globe before coming back to America. I myself would love to do that some day, but its almost impossible in todays world.

Known Associates said...

20 years might be a little bit longer than I had in mind. :o)