Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm Gonna Show Him What a Little Girl's Made Of: Gunpowder and Lead

I talked to Mr. Harsh Reviewer today, and it was both positive and unbelievably frustrating. I'm starting to worry that I'm more likely to be fired for assaulting a co-worker than for poor job performance. (At least the assault charge would be based in fact.)

Mr. Harsh Review and I actually have a lot of things in common in terms of our career backgrounds, and we hit it off really well (go figure). I subtly emphasized throughout the meeting that he hasn't had a chance to get to know me (read: his entire review is based on hearsay) or work directly with me (read: his entire review is based on hearsay).

He brought up the fact that "a couple" of my colleagues had found it a struggle to work with me, and I mentioned that I was pretty sure I knew one person he was talking about and that I hadn't enjoyed working with her on that deal either but, basically, that I just worked through it on my own (read: I'm professional and not a two-year-old and don't think it's right to whine to the partner because someone else is annoying me). I added that this person (read: fucking bitch) and I are working together on another deal now, that the relationship has been much stabler and that even though I didn't like working with her before, I felt that I might have misjudged her (read: I'm going to fuck that bitch up the minute his back is turned).

The part that really made me want to hulk out was when he ADMITTED that he should have talked to me about all these things before he put it in my evaluation. I said, "That would have been appreciated. I'm glad we're at least talking now though." It was all I could do not to put my fist through his window in rageful frustration. I mean, I've talked to both of the people who gave me negative reviews, and neither of them seems to have given the slightest thought to how impactful their review was on my career. Both of them basically just spoke off the cuff, and I'm over here fighting to keep my job.

Unreal. Un-fucking-believable.

No comments: