Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Poor Me, Why Me, Oh Me, Boring, The Same Old, Worn-Out Blah Blah Story, There Is No Good Explanation For It At All

I talked to a friend of mine today about my crap job situation. This friend is not only a super-cool lady; she's also the headhunter who placed me in this job (that's how we met). It is by no means her fault that things have taken a downturn, but the fact that she played a role in finding me this job probably gives her more of a vested interest in my success with this employer than the average person would have. She gave me some tough love, let me tell you.

She started by giving me exactly 15 minutes to vent, and then she cut me off. She assessed exactly what points were raised in the negative feedback, and she went step by step through what I need to do to address those points. If I get a new project, I feel prepared to tackle it with new savvy. That was the good part.

The bad part was that she thinks I need to explain to the two negative reviewers that I'm at risk of being fired based on their feedback and guilt them into giving me a new project that will generate another evaluation. She also told me that there is no way they don't remember exactly what they said in their evaluations and their claims otherwise are just passive-aggression and that I shouldn't believe anything they say because of the aforementioned passive-aggression. That made me feel like I wasted my time going to talk to them to begin with, but my mom pointed out that it still cleared the air and gave them a new reason to respect me and admire my chutzpah.

I haven't slept well in about a week, and I think the muscles in my neck are tensed so tightly that I'm at risk of my head snapping off. I need a good night's sleep or I'm going to burn out in week one of a three month sprint.

No comments: