Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Less I Seek My Source for Some Definitive, the Closer I Am to Fine

My new boy called me again from his location in another country. He sounded absolutely exhausted on the phone, but he insisted that he wanted to hear my voice and talk to me. He got a little feisty when I suggested getting off the phone so he could go to bed, so I ended up carrying the conversation while he just listened. He was too tired to talk much really.

I've been trying to figure out how I feel about this guy. I really like him, and I'm excited when he calls. I like hearing his voice or receiving his emails, and he says all the right things. But part of me -- and I emphasize that this has nothing to do with him -- doesn't trust the situation. Again, it's not that I get any disingenuous vibes from him. It's just that I've always been the one reaching out and making the effort, and I'm off-balance in a situation where the other person has assumed that role. He keeps telling me how much he likes me, and I keep waiting to hear the catch. It's not healthy.

My mom assures me that this is just how guys act when they really like a girl. (Maybe that wretched He's Just Not That Into You book has a valid point to make.) I guess I haven't really experienced that since my high school boyfriend, and he was a bit of a weenie, not to mention that he was a boy in high school. This is my first real experience as an adult of being pursued by someone, and as much as I like it, I'm not sure how to react. I'm not sure how much of my own feelings to show him because I don't want to get hurt.

I really need to get my head right on this situation before I make this man think I don't like him and run him off.

1 comment:

me said...

ahhh... cute. :)
i love that he likes you.