Monday, May 18, 2009

I've Realized I've Got Me, Myself and I

I'm glad I talked to the new guy yesterday. His email is truly an egregious display of callowness and low-class behavior unrivaled in the annals of male history, but I see now that he's just an asshole. This is his modus operandi. It's disappointing that he's such a worthless human being, but I feel free because I realize that his behavior isn't personal. He wasn't mistreating me in particular, he was just behaving the way he behaves in a relationship. He comes on like gangbusters, tells the woman all manner of lovely things, discovers a miniscule flaw, and then bails without ever being seen or heard from again. I assume this all comes from his cripplingly low self-esteem. He makes mountains out of molehills because he doesn't want the relationship to get to a point where it gets real and he might get hurt. He also isn't capable of feeling empathy for others, as evidenced by the fact that he wasn't going to say anything to me about not wanting to keep in touch despite having said mere days earlier that he needed me. All he can feel is self-pity. He is exactly like my father -- a toxic person, a Dark Artist (to borrow a phrase from Martha Beck). He's someone to flush out of my life without a second thought, and that gives me the closure I need to move on.

No comments: