Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cecilia

People Who Are Breaking My Heart

What the fuck is the matter with the new guy? (Also, I really should have thought of a blog name for him, but now it's too late.) It has been over two weeks, and he still hasn't called, texted, emailed, written, visited or sent a carrier pigeon. I know I told him never to contact me again, but he never listened to anything else I ever said, so I can't imagine why he's decided to start now.

My friends are divided into two camps on this issue. Well, that's not entirely accurate. All of my friends are in the "it would be best never to talk to this assface again" camp. But within that unified camp, there is one faction that thinks it's inevitable that he'll resurface and one considerably smaller faction that thinks that he'll never be the first one to cave in and contact me and that he'll just wait for me to contact him and lose interest when I don't.

I don't even know why I'm still invested in this "relationship."

People Who Are Shaking My Confidence Daily

Potential employers. Today, I had a recruiting coordinator call me about an in-house position for which I submitted my resume (at this point, no other kind of in-house position exists in the world). The person who eventually takes the job will be doing a certain kind of securities law work. I have securities experience, but in another area, which it clearly says on my resume. Said recruiting coordinator called to inquire a little further about my level and type of experience and my reasons for being interested in the position. (I love when recruiters ask this. The reason anyone is ever interesed in any position is because they need a job and a job is being offered. End of story. Stop asking this fucking ridiculous question.) Anyway, he said that he was going to meet with the hiring decision-makers on Friday, and that I would probably hear something about next steps within five business days. Three hours later, I get a form email of rejection. Why did this guy waste my time? Why did he waste his own time? Why did he even bother to give me a time frame for a response when he planned to ding me in a form email mere hours later? Why?

And in general, why aren't I getting more interviews? Yes, I know, the economy is bad. But I have a good resume and solid work experience, and I'm really not seeing much interest in that. Places that, frankly, should be psyched to get my resume are thumbing their noses at me. This economy needs to improve immediately.

No comments: