Monday, June 14, 2010

Don't Call Me Daughter, Not Fit To, the Picture Kept Will Remind Me

Trying to make room for my father in my life again has been both easier and harder than I anticipated.

On the easier side, Dad graciously didn't ask for any explanation as to why I suddenly started talking to him again after so long or why I stopped talking to him in the first place. I appreciated that since I didn't really feel like getting into that with him, at least not at this time.

On the harder side, there are still big portions of my life from which I want to exclude my father. For instance, my mother decided to "help" by emailing him a photo of Teh Doggeh and me titled "your daughter and your grandson." (Side note: Dad didn't realize for several moments that the grandson was the dog and perused the photo for a real baby and got all mad at my brother for not mentioning the entire person I'd given birth to. Ha.) Dad emailed me referring to Teh Doggeh as his grandson, and it made me mad. I thought to myself that my stepfather is Teh Doggeh's grandfather and my dad is just some guy Teh Doggeh would like to bite. I guess it's progress that there are even tiny parts of my life in which I am willing to include my father.

No comments: