Sunday, June 27, 2010

If The Elevator Tries to Break You Down

So, there's this guy at work who may or may not be interested in me. I cannot figure him out.

My workplace is designed to minimize social interactions. Our cubicle-style seats are assigned, and there aren't many common areas where people linger and chat. Most of the people I work with are socially awkward in the extreme, so I don't mind the barriers to friendliness too much. But this fellow always smiles at me when I see him and seems really nice. One day, as I was walking out of our work space to take the elevator downstairs to go eat lunch, he purposely got up as I was walking out and walked with me to the elevator. He told me that he saw I was leaving and decided to go at the same time so he didn't have to wait for the elevator (the elevators in the building are pretty slow and one of them breaks down a lot, so it can be a long wait sometimes). I thought that was kind of odd, and I wondered if maybe he just wanted to talk to me.

After that, I kept more of an eye on him. I noticed he brought his lunch from home and used very nice containers for it. That made me suspect he was either gay or in a relationship because I usually assume single straight guys live like animals and can't imagine any of them investing in high-quality food storage.

I didn't get another chance to talk to him until last week. I usually eat my lunch on the steps of another office building down the block, but I decided to eat in the break room. He came in to rinse out his snazzy Tupperware, and he started chatting with me. I asked him about the Tupperware, and he went into a lengthy explanation about how he bought it because he cooks a lot and the brand is hard to find but it has some kind of special suction. He then demonstrated the suction capabilities for me. He is a bit of a low talker, so I couldn't understand everything he said. He might have mentioned a significant other at some point during his explanation, but I didn't hear it if he did. It has been my experience in the past that when a male goes on and on about something really inane, it's because he likes the girl he's talking to. However, the other possibility, which I cannot ignore, is that he's just massively weird. He also took the time to wipe down the counters in the break room, which our disgusting colleagues had let get covered with coffee stains and spilled sugar. I told him that I just wiped down those same counters that morning, and we agreed that our co-workers are gross.

Since then, I haven't been presented with any further opportunities to talk to this guy, and I haven't sought out any either. He hasn't followed me to the elevator again, and I haven't eaten my lunch in the break room. If he was or is interested in me, I don't know if my efforts to smile at him and make conversation with him sufficed to let him know that I might reciprocate his interest. I haven't chosen to be more aggressive with him because I don't know his situation.

Unfortunately, our job is about to come to an end. I expect an email sometime this week saying it is over -- maybe as early as today -- and then I'll probably never see this guy again. Poop.

No comments: