Friday, June 4, 2010

I'm Starting With the Man in the Mirror

I quit my job!

Yes, that sound you hear is a gospel choir singing "Hallelujah."

I was offered that other temp job today, and I jumped on that shit. I'm taking a pay cut to go there, so I was a little reluctant, but I'm doing it anyway. When I was growing up, my mom used to keep a page from a page-a-day calendar on her office bulletin board with the quote, "Unhappiness can be a great motivator if we don't get too comfortable with it." I normally don't pay any attention to platitudes like that, but that one stuck with me, and it applies in this situation.

I was unhappy at my day job, but it had three things going for it. First and most importantly, it paid better than other temp jobs available to me. Second, it was familiar. I've had a lot of changes in the past year, which has made me cherish the familiar, even if the familiar is also unpleasant. Third, even though I was unhappy, it was usually a manageable level of unhappiness. My supervisor was predictably shitty to me -- he didn't try to get creative with his shitty behavior, probably because he isn't smart enough to innovate. In other words, I became comfortable with my unhappiness and it wasn't motivating me to find something better.

I feel good about making this change. It might not lead to a better employment situation, but I feel empowered because I took action to change a bad situation instead of just complaining about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good. Something hateful must be left behind. I hope u find a little more peace at ur new job. All the best.

The Commuter said...

Good for you! Hopefully the new job will be pleasant--and brief (i.e., let's hope you get a good permanent job soon). Although the circumstances are quite different--I'm going from one secure job to another--I feel some affinity for your situation: I decided I needed to shake my life up a bit by making a change that was attractive, but (objectively speaking) not so much so as to make all the uncertainties of a move worthwhile. Nevertheless, with the notion that a bit of uncertainty can be good, I took the leap. (I won't actually make the move until September, though technically my old job ends on June 30 and the new one begins on July 1.) Anyway, I hope everything works out for you at the new place!

MorningAJ said...

Good luck. I'm thinking it's time to move on right now too - but not having too much luck in tracking down options. I sincerely hope that the new job brings you happiness.