Monday, March 15, 2010

A Hard Day's Night

Ugh, rain.

This weekend's major rain storm was a real pain in my ass. Saturday night, the ceiling in my apartment started to leak. When I left a message on my property manager's emergency line demanding that someone come out tout de suite to fix the hole, the property manager could not have seemed less interested in or more exasperated by my call. He said that he'd received upwards of 75 calls on this subject, and that, basically, they'd get to it when they get to it. I love when my employees respond to my concerns with meaningless tautologies.

Last night, Teh Doggeh and I were rudely awakened by a colossal banging noise. It sounded like a cannon ball being dropped right onto our ceiling. I figured the rain and wind had loosened some roofing materials, which were now crashing about above my head, trying to find a way to pierce through the sheet rock into my apartment and kill me. On the off chance that a human being caused the noise, I called the non-emergency number for the police. Three kindly police officers came screeching to a halt in front of my apartment building within five minutes, so those were tax dollars well spent. Thanks, boys! One of them clambered up the ladder to the roof and looked around. He saw a lot of loose debris up there but no evidence of an intruder, which was half-good. Thanks to my giving them the big "aw shucks" eyes, the police officers assured me that I did the right thing by calling them and that it is better to be safe than sorry.

The noise continued throughout the night. Teh Doggeh was afraid of the noise and insisted on sleeping in my bed with me (curled up on the adjacent pillow, quite cutely) instead of in his own bed where he usually sleeps. Poor little feller.

This morning, my property manager (whose stupidity is exceeded only by his laziness and avarice) got both an email and a voice mail from me about the ceiling damage and the incessant, sleep-preventing banging. I also left a note on the door of the home owners association president. She is kind of a bitch, but it was the right thing to do to involve her. She immediately sent an email telling this fool to get on fixing my problem.

Lazy Dumbass claims that he sent someone to resolve the banging noise issue. I haven't heard it since I've been home this evening, but I don't know if that's due to his diligence or the more likely possibility that the decreased wind reduced the banging on its own. Supposedly, he's sending someone out to fix the ceiling this week. Maybe I can finally get a decent night's sleep.

No comments: