Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Time Keeps on Slipping Into the Future

I sit next to this woman at work who I'm concerned is my personal Ghost of Christmas Future. She's about twenty years old than I am, and she never married or had children. She's a very attractive woman with a lovely personality, and although she is the loudest chewer of food that I have ever encountered, I can't see any reason that she has not managed to find herself a mate. On top of that, her elderly and infirm parents live with her. She is one of the most good-hearted people I've ever known, so she of course says she enjoys having them, but I can tell from her half of phone calls with her parents that caring for them is a project and that her mom is kind of a chore.

I love my mom, but I do not want to go through life without forming a new family of my own. I want to get married at the very least, and while I'm not so fond of children, I can see how having some endows a person with a life beyond his or her family of origin. I'm not sure having children to avoid getting stuck in the daughter role forever is such a good reason, but it's at least as good a reason as "I got drunk and made a mistake."

No comments: