Monday, August 24, 2009

Mouse, Trap

Last night, I had to dispose of a live mouse caught in a glue trap under my refrigerator. I have a deep-seated horror of rodents and have spent my adult, urban life working tirelessly to keep them out of my apartment. Unfortunately, based on the fact that I have had mouse problems in my last two apartments, I think they are coming to find the dog food.

When I spotted the glue trap sticking half out from under the fridge with a visible tail caught in it, I freaked the fuck out. I had to call my mom for moral support and advice on what to do with the thing. It was one of those times when I knew what I had to do, but I didn't want to do it. Namely, I had to sweep the mouse into a trash bag and run outside to the curb with it. Barf.

The odd thing was that after the mouse kerfluffle subsided, I realized that I had gone an entire hour and a half or two hours without thinking of Goose. That's probably the longest amount of time I've gone without thinking of him since he and I met. In a way, even though I was in panicky crisis mode dealing with my mammalian enemy, it was a relief. Having something else that demanded my immediate attention provided a respite from all things Goose-related.

I miss him so much. It's hard even for a secret romantic like me to believe that a person could come to mean so much to me after only a little over a week of time together, but it happened. Sometimes, you meet people who reach inside you and fundamentally alter you. Goose is such a person, though he is not the only such person I have encountered in my life. I just wish I knew that he felt the same way about me, or that he was thinking about me. I don't expect him to be thinking about me as much as I think about him, but it would be nice to know that he missed me.

No comments: