Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's Only Me Who Wants to Wrap Around Your Dreams

I had a dream last night about The Only Living Boy in New York that was so obvious in its meaning that I almost woke up laughing. In the dream, he invited me to visit him at his apartment. It took me forever just to get to the apartment. Even after I arrived at the building complex, which was far away, I had to take a monorail through all the different apartment towers and then had to try to find the right elevator to get to The Only Living Boy in New York's apartment. When I finally got there, he wasn't in his apartment, but I ran into someone we both know (in the dream, I have no idea who the person was in real life) who told me he was outside. So, I had to go outside to try to locate him. I woke up right around the time I found him.

How much more obvious can my subconscious be about my feeling that The Only Living Boy in New York can't meet me halfway? Or even meet me one percent of the way? In fact, it seems like the more I try to meet him halfway, the further he stretches the distance between us. When I put it like that, I think to myself, "How dumb are you that you can't take the hint that he doesn't want you in his life?" Maybe that's what my subconscious is trying to ask me. In waking life, my analysis of the situation is complicated by the fact that he says he wants us to be in each other's lives, he says he wants to be friends, he says he wants to spend time with me, and he initiates contact. In other words, the motherfucker gives mixed signals. He's done it before, and it is time I learned that mixed signals are the only way he knows how to interact with me. He doesn't know what he wants from me, so some days, he comes on strong, and other days, he remains elusive. I know what I want from him, and it doesn't involve putting myself out there and getting nothing in response. Maybe my subconscious is just trying to show me how ridiculous it is that I put in this kind of effort with this man who can't put it in even a tiny fraction of the same effort for me.

No comments: