Monday, April 14, 2008

Faith, Hope and Charity

Recently, a friend of mine and his wife experienced the tragedy of a stillbirth. This guy is the first of my friends to try to start a family, and my heart breaks for them because I know they will be great parents and because it's just a sad, senseless thing. I spoke to my friend (but not to his wife) about it and expressed my sorrow over what happened. Today, I made a small donation to a stillbirths-related charity in honor of the two of them and the baby. At this point, I would like to send them a card to let them know that I'm keeping them in my thoughts and that I made this donation on their behalf, but I'm afraid it might be slightly tacky. I would have preferred that the charity itself send them a card or something, but the only option they offered was an email, which seemed tasteless also.

I think I am going to go ahead and send them a card. In my experience, nobody finds it easy to talk about grief and loss either if you're the one experiencing it or if you're offering comfort to someone who's having a time. But it's usually better to put it out there that you're thinking of the grieving person rather than to pretend the bad thing isn't happening, and I'm sure they will be glad to know that I'm there for them.

No comments: