Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I'm Okay, You're Okay

When I was in my old hometown, I had dinner with a guy I used to mentor when he was in high school and I was in college. We were talking about the director of the volunteer program that brought us together, a person on whom I used to have a massive crush (he looked like Seth Green!) and upon whom I would probably still have a massive crush if our paths had crossed any time in the last several years. When I know this director, he was involved with someone (another volunteer, no less), and they ultimately moved in together.

My mentee told me that the director and his girlfriend had recently parted ways. When my mentee asked the director why they split, he told him that he could stay with his girlfriend forever, and that would be okay, but he wanted something more than just okay.

My first thought upon hearing that was, "Oh, so he's single?" But my second thought was, "Good for him." Surprisingly few people are willing to abandon a relationship of longstanding that is not wholly unpleasant in a quest for a more fulfilling love. Some people (like the author of that article I reference awhile back about settling) will even say that the idea of incandescent love is illusory and that it's a fool's errand to chase it. I really admire this guy for taking that leap and deciding that a lifetime of something that's just okay is not for him.

No comments: