Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Drew a Map of Canada With Your Face Sketched on It Twice

Friend #3 is back on my shit list. After last week's successful getaway, I decided that I wanted to take another trip. It seemed like a natural choice to pop over to the city where he lives because it's close enough for a quick but substantive trip. I emailed him to assess his interest in my visit and offered to stay in a hotel to avoid inconveniencing him. (Yes, part of me hoped he would protest that I should stay at his place so I could save some loot, but, frankly, I have the money to stay in a hotel and, as someone who has an apartment that's really too small for guests, I sympathize with people who start to hyperventilate at the thought of shoehorning a friend in for the weekend.) He said that he was going to be out of town the weekend I suggested, and he did not suggest an alternate weekend. I was a little miffed that he didn't propose a different plan, but I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that he was blowing me off. But I was dragged to that conclusion anyway when I emailed him to ask whether there was an another weekend that would be more convenient and he didn't write back. Well. Be that way.

So, forget him. I'm going to Montreal instead. I've never been to Canada, despite the fact that it is a neighboring country (I've never been to Mexico either), and I'm really looking forward to getting that stamp in my passport. I'm hurt by his behavior, but he hasn't been acting like a good friend lately, and there have been signs in his behavior with other people that he has a cold and dismissive streak. I guess I can't take it personally if that's just his way, but I do, a little.

In any event, I'm very enthused about the possibility of visiting Canada for the first time, and that is papering over a lot of hurt feelings about Friend #3.

No comments: