Friday, April 11, 2008

Round and Round and Round You Go, When You Find Love You'll Always Know

I talked to my mom tonight about the various relationship issues I've been over-analyzing this week. In the middle of her life and after dating a variety of different kinds of men, she has finally found a man she considers to be her life partner. I discussed with her the merits of settling versus holding out and what exactly one should be looking for in a mate.

My mom told me it's impossible to find someone who doesn't do anything annoying, and the important thing is to find someone who gets you and to find someone who makes your feelings a priority. As long as you have those two things, it seems to me like you're not really settling.

Those things are not a cinch to find, of course. Of all the guys I have ever dated, or even all the guys I've ever been interested in seriously, I can only think of one who really got me, and he had plenty of other issues that prevented our relationship from ever really getting off the runway. But if you can find someone who gets you, regardless of what that person looks like or how much money he makes, that person might be a keeper.

No comments: