Monday, June 30, 2008

Half of the Time We're Gone But We Don't Know Where and We Don't Know Here

What I said to him:

So, even though I think it's really your turn to initiate this discussion, I'm already tired of being annoyed and passive-aggressive about it. Do you know that you're giving me the impression that you want us to be more than just friends? I talk to you, who I didn't know that well before I moved, more than I talk to people I've been friends with for 10 years, and I love talking to you, but I'm becoming unpleasantly confused. I know we already had a similar discussion, which is why I hate myself for bringing this up again, and you said you had a girlfriend, and I haven't heard that that has changed, but six months have passed since then and we seem to keep getting closer. If you genuinely aren't interested in being anything more than friends, then I think we need to take a step back here so you can evaluate how to bring the way you're acting in line with the way you're feeling (and so I can see if [Don Juan de Morocco] is still available). If you do have some more-than-friendly feelings, then I wish you would tell me so we can talk about it (and by that, I obviously mean so we can make out).

What he said to me:

I really have enjoyed getting to know you, mostly over email since you left [my former city]. You are wildly funny, a beautiful person, very insightful and have a unique perspective on life. Which is why I've gotten so drawn into emailing with you regularly, more so than people I've known my whole life, even though we didn't really know each other well before you left [my previous employer]. But I'm sorry that our conversations gave you the wrong impression and/or left you feeling confused. I do have a girlfriend and have viewed our closeness as friendship. Our friendship is great and I enjoy it tremendously, but I understand that we each need to treat it in a way that's best for ourselves. I'm not sure what the end result of this email should be, but I did want to be honest with you.

No comments: