Saturday, June 21, 2008

Little Red Riding Hood 2

I am so pissed right now that I could punch something.

I received a response this evening from one of the people I emailed about the ongoing harassment from the asshole from the plane. This person, a female minister, said the following:

"
I am an in receipt of your email dated June 20, 2008. I am not certain how you obtained my email address but I will address your issues and concerns regarding your experience."

What the fuck? I sent this woman (and I think it's important to note here that the person I'm talking to is a female) an email saying, in essence, "Someone you invited to your church as a guest molested and harassed me" and the lead-off in her response is to query how I got her email address? Motherfucking Google is how I got her fucking email address, something I pointed out to her (albeit more tactfully) in my response. Does she seriously not think her email address (which, by the way, was her work email address, not her Gmail account or something) is not publicly available information? I sent her a link to the webpage I got it from for good measure.

It makes me so angry that the response of any human being, but particularly a woman, to the email I sent is to insinuate that her privacy was somehow unjustly encroached upon by my informing her of this problem. She should try being in my position and having some creepy guy who won't take no for an answer bearing down on her and see how invaded her privacy feels. It may be unfair of me to judge her more harshly as a woman than I would a man, but I expected a woman to be more sympathetic to a problem of this nature because I think that the problem I'm dealing with is unique to women. Men can be the victims of harassment and stalking and men can be molested or have inappropriate sexual advances foisted upon them, but I think that these are more likely to be offenses perpetrated against women by men. I have no statistics to back me up here, but that's what I think. Because of that, I would expect a woman to be more understanding or at least not to have her first response be a suggestion that I was somehow bothering her or invading her privacy (her non-existent privacy, I might add, since her email address is published right on the internet, freely available to anyone who Googles her name).

I don't think I would even have been so angry if she had just said she couldn't or wouldn't help me. My hope in emailing these people with whom this asshole is affiliated was to shame or alarm them into not inviting him back in the future and possibly putting some pressure on him (or him via his local minister) to stop bothering me. This woman who responded to me tonight is involved with what looks to be an extremely worthwhile charity and the asshole from the plane was here with his choir to participant in some kind of party or fundraiser for this charity. I'm sure the charity would not want it publicized that someone it invited to this country now has a police report filed against him.

I just want to scream.

1 comment:

me said...

what a beast of a woman minister.
sorry that man is harassing you.
shitty situation... i hope it disappears.