Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Don't Go Breakin' My Heart

This is the letter I wish I could write to the new guy.

Dear [name]:

I don't think we should keep in touch anymore. Right now, I'm going through the difficult transition of finding a new job (and possibly having to relocate) and dealing with the disappointment of losing a job at which I worked really hard. I need to focus my energy on my career right now, and I can't have my energy drained by being upset with you. And lately, every interaction I've had with you has been upsetting.

We had a fight a few weeks ago, and I thought we planned to talk the following day, and I didn't hear from you. Then, when I did hear from you, you said a lot of hurtful things. I know you apologized, and I didn't field the apology in a very forgiving way, but when I asked you what you wanted, you said you guessed that was good-bye. That wasn't what I meant, but I took that to be what you wanted. After a week passed, and I reached out to you to try to resolve things, you said you needed to gather your thoughts. That's entirely valid, but you've been gathering your thoughts for a week and a half, in addition to the week you already had before that to gather your thoughts. No one's thoughts need that much gathering or, if they do, what you're really thinking is that you don't give all that much of a shit about me. It's fine if you don't want to be my boyfriend or embark on a serious relationship at this juncture because we don't really know each other well enough. But it's not fine if you can't even be a halfway decent friend, which requires doing what you say you're going to do. You didn't even say anything about my losing my job.

I don't know what happened here. When things first started out, you were calling every day, and we were having these awesome conversations, and it seemed like there was a lot of potential. Then, all of a sudden, things just went right to hell. I'm sad and disappointed, but I just don't have the energy to try any harder.

Me

No comments: