Friday, April 3, 2009

Take This Job and Shove It

Well, it finally happened. I got word from the corporate overlords that I'm being asked to leave the firm at the end of June. I knew it was a possibility, but it still shocked me when it actually happened. Maybe what surprised me the most is how unfair it is. I had some negative reviews (undeserved, but there they were), and I did everything the firm asked of me and more to overcome them, and I achieved the results I was told I needed to achieve to keep my job, and it still turned out the same way as if I had done nothing. What a disappointment.

Now, I'm on the job hunt. The economy is bleak right now, but places are still hiring. I've been sending my resume around and trying to connect with friends and family to ask them to pass on any opportunities they hear about. Not much else I can do, really.

After my experience of not receiving an offer from my 2L summer employer, I learned that career setbacks are common and that they are also survivable. I'm nervous about finding a job, but I know that I will ultimately land okay. I'm a smart person with a couple of fancy degrees to my name, and I'll work my ass off until I find a job. I'm hopeful that I will look back on this bullshit one day as a blessing in disguise -- the push I needed to leave a job that wasn't making me happy anyway. I doubt that day will come until after I'm ensconced in a new position.

No comments: