Friday, April 10, 2009

Who Are You?

My mom told me that I need to figure out who I am, after I lamented to her that my life is in a shambles because I'm imminently unemployed and being completely ignored by the new boy. According to my mom, I cannot be defined by my job or my romantic relationships (or lack thereof). At first, I rolled my eyes at her as I usually do whenever she starts talking about touchy-feely stuff, but it stayed with me.

I was thinking about the conversation in which my employer's emissary informed me that my services would no longer be required. I was grinding my teeth so hard that I thought I was going to snap a molar in two, and I kept thinking that as smart as I am, I don't understand why I keep failing in my career. I interrupted my inner rant by telling myself that I just can't allow these things in. I have to be selective in which perceptions of other people I internalize.

It occurred to me that this might be what my mom meant when she said I need to figure out who I am. If I know who I am, then it is easier to determine which perceptions to absorb and which to let bead up and roll off my skin.

No comments: