Friday, April 24, 2009

Here Is What I Know Now, Brother...In Your Love, My Salvation Lies, In Your Love

I talked to my brother today to update him on my severing of ties with the new guy. He was proud of me for ending things and happy that I tried to get back in the game. I hadn't thought my brother noticed things like my dating life, but now I feel bad that he thinks I'm lonely. I don't want him to worry about me, and I really don't want him to feel sorry for me. He also said he respected the fact that I gave the new guy another chance after we initially had problems and tried to work things out. I guess that's something that everyone struggles with in relationships -- when to work at it and when to give up on it.

It's important to me to be the type of person my brother can respect and look up to. He's a grown man, and he's so smart and wise, and I value his opinion above all others. But we're still big sister and little brother, and even though he is my equal, I still feel that obligation to be a good role model for him. I don't want him to see me letting someone mistreat or abuse me.

I still miss the attention that the new guy paid me at the beginning of our relationship. I told my brother that it was nice to have a good-looking, smart guy with a nice job paying attention to me and noticing me because I feel like guys don't notice me generally. Still, I can't allow someone to treat me the way the new guy did.

No comments: